Utah-Wyoming-Nebraska-Indiana-Michigan-Ohio-New York-Massachusetts
Were we excited to see THIS?
Excited is an understatement. But before you get the wrong impression- though the drive was long, being with Nate made it actually feel much quicker! He is my best friend, and after he has been travelling so often-sitting in a truck with him for 3 days straight was actually so much fun! We listened to a couple books on tape, a murder mystery, and The Peacegiver. Both great and kept us entertained! We sang songs really loud, talked, played the card games "Fact or Crap" and "Would You Rather", and stopped at McDonalds frequently so we could try and win a Monopoly prize. It's easy to keep going back when you win free parfaits or a burger or fries. Then you just get to keep playing! We got real close...but no $20,000 in our pocket I am afraid.
On day 1 we drove 15 hours to Omaha, Nebraska and got there pretty late. It felt like we had probably never even been in Utah that morning. The roughest part for me that day was missing my sweet little Carter. I was heart broken to leave him while we made the drive but he would have never loved me again otherwise. So he stayed with Grandma and Grandpa Rhodes. After we had been on the road most of the day, he gave me a call- and when I said hello and heard his sweet voice say "mama" back into the phone I thought I would lose it! Day 2 was a little easier. He spent an afternoon at Grandma Newman's and she sent us this cute snapshot to keep mommy happy on the road-
The real feat of the trip was that I officially became a trucker girl. I drive big trucks now. I drove at least half of the way! A little scary at first, but then a piece of cake ;) Look out folks-don't want to get on the wrong side of THIS trucker lady on the road! Let's just say I don't exactly meet trucker regulations yet. Facial hair missing...don't usually flip people off..and I got a few pretty wonderful looks from my fellow truckers who would think a gal like me couldn't handle this wheel. Booya.
Though the ride was long.. It always stinks when you get a little off track and have to add time to an already endless drive. This happened our second day when we took a detour through Michigan. Shoot. But night 2 we stayed in Ohio just a little ways past Kirtland. Day 3 was so exciting! So much anticipation of getting to our new home! Nate and I had to keep reminding ourselves that this wasn't a vacation. Or just a road trip. We were on a one way ride. No return tickets. THIS was home now. Crazy. So after 12 hours on day 3- we made it to Concord and stayed the night there. The next day we got the keys to our place, and Nate and I unloaded our 22 foot moving truck all by ourselves! We unloaded and unpacked and did all of it! Then took a little time to ourselves to explore.
Say hello to my favorite downtown Concord diner. True love at first sight is what I call this.

Waitor: "Coffee to start?"
Us: "No thanks, we don't drink coffee. How about hot chocolate please?"
Waitor: "You don't drink coffee......like...coffee??"
Us: "Ummm...no. No coffee."
Waitor: "Mmmmmk? Hot chocolate....sure"
We have this conversation frequently :)
Darling will never be adequate.

Sure- come on in for breakfast! For 5 bucks eat your weights worth in delicious french toast!! Very moderate pricing, and heaps of food on ever single plate. Really delicious too. This was a prize.
DEEEEELISH!!
So after we got semi-settled in, my sweet mom flew on the red eye flight to bring me my sweet baby boy. I was DYING without the little munchkin so I was overjoyed to have him back in my arms!!! I think he likes me too :) We snuggled and he was so happy to be back in what felt like home. Watchin' his little movies and being with mama.
No matter how many times this kid sees Lion king, it doesn't get old to him.
The swings at the park were a favorite discovery also. Carter LOVES the swings and never wants me to pull him out of it. Seeing him so happy is the greatest, but watching the swings too long makes me sick as a grown up.
We of course had to fill our fridge, so we went to the nearest grocery store down the street called the stop and shop. Apparently they don't REALLY want you to shop there because their prices...are ridiculous.
Nonsense.
So we learned quickly that the nearest store worth shopping at in any direction from us is at least 25-30 minutes of driving. Ouch. I still haven't seen a Wal-Mart. Heart breaking. And not every day you see this in your Utah market place...
Carter gets tired shopping since the driving time alone takes about an hour give or take.
Cute boys.
So all in all- we are really enjoying our time here!! One adventure after the next really. I will have plenty more fun things coming your way!! Also, we find out the gender of our little one this Friday and get another ultrasound. Here is a snapshot of our last one. So sweet.
A little glare but, what a sweet profile!!
More to come!!













So happy to have you on the east coast! You're going to LOVE it if it's anything like the city here. The people, the food, the weather. All of it is scrumptious.
ReplyDeleteAnd we totally get the expensive food thing. Milk is 4.99 a gallon. And 4 chicken breasts comes out to 20. CRAZY. But I think after a year we're almost used to it.
Hope to see you guys soon! Love ya!
Linds, I'm loving reading about your fun new adventure! Can't wait to hear about the gender of that new baby!
ReplyDelete