Memorial day in Concord was pretty neat! Normally when I'm at home, we go and visit loved ones at the cemetery and decorate their graves with beautiful flowers. I missed that a lot this year, but we did our best to celebrate differently. We got to visit some pretty neat grave sites still. Ralph Waldo Emerson and family, Louisa Mae Alcott and family, Nathaniel Hawthorne, Henry David Thoreau...all placed nearby each other on what people call "Author's Ridge". Never actually foresaw myself paying homage to these people at my local cemetery! But hey- I felt truly privileged! 10 minutes from my front door lay some of the greater legacy's of our American history. Driving past cemeteries and walking through them is actually one of my favorite pass time's here. They all look SOOO old! It is truly a wonder sometimes how the headstones are still standing in one piece. Incredible. But back to the festivities- what is memorial day without some hot dogs?? Now and again, when I was young my dad would take us to RC Willey to have a free hot dog and fountain drink at their memorial day sale. Now my memorial day pretty much revolves around that hot dog. Last year or maybe the year before, I convinced Nate to go with me to get that free dog, and I was literally crushed when they told us they were out. I never miss a memorial day dog. So naturally, we had to go to Costco. But I digress. Here's some pictures of our day.

I idolize this woman a bit. And LOVE her book little women.
This row of matching headstones are all of Louisa's sisters, with her parents just behind them.
Ralph W. Emerson's huge rock headstone :) loved it.
and Nathaniel Hawthorne..
Now on to our barbeque complete with good lookin' kids!
Carter LOVES to swing. loves it.
My niece, Ainsley, AKA the diet coke cover child...
One in each hand...oh yeah.
No comments:
Post a Comment