You know those places that on a rough day or when you need time to think, you escape to? Just because that certain place makes you feel happy, peaceful, or relaxed? I never thought I'd be able to say this, but Nate and I escape to the "Old North Bridge". A national monument! Part of minuteman historical park. Only 10 minutes from home. The north bridge now stands as a replica of the bridge that stood during the revolution near the old Manse house, a house built by Ralph Waldo Emerson's grandfather, Rev. Emerson, who actually watched the battle at the North bridge from his fields and his wife and children saw it from their windows upstairs. Ralph Waldo Emerson lived there for a time, and also Nathaniel Hawthorne who rented the home, and shared company with Henry Thoreau. It is striking. Nate and I recently shared some incredible Ben and Jerry's ice cream there in the parking lot for a "mini" date night. S'mores flavor? Brilliant. We've also taken the whole fam for a picnic. I like to run around this area, and it feels so quiet and beautiful. Something else about this place is so mystical! I know it is funny to say, but really truly, there is something special and perfect about being here! I think partly I love it so much because I feel like the scenery and historical homes put me into a different era. I like that. None of these pictures will do the place true justice, but to give you a glimpse...
Me and the Moby again, of course. Yes there is in fact a person in there, who I so happen to be munching :)
The monument says, "HERE On the 19 of April, 1775, was made the first forcible resistance to British aggression[.] On the opposite Bank stood the American Militia[.] Here stood the Invading Army and on this spot the first of the Enemy fell in the War of that Revolution which gave Independence to these United States[.] In gratitude to GOD and In the love of Freedom this Monument was erected AD. 1836."
(Kindly borrowed from good old google. This looks most like what it is now)
In 1837 on July 4th, Ralph Waldo Emerson dedicated the monument here with his "Concord Hymn"- famous for this portion..
By the rude bridge that arched the flood,
Their flag to April's breeze unfurled,
Here once the embattled farmers stood
And fired the shot heard round the world.
Their flag to April's breeze unfurled,
Here once the embattled farmers stood
And fired the shot heard round the world.
This monument here is the "Grave of British Soldiers". Pretty reverent to stand there actually. This place is amazing.
It is so amazing to me to stand where all of our independence began! Crazy to think of that day and what these hills must have looked like! Men running out the doors of their homes, leaving their wives and families inside as they grabbed their guns and maybe even said their last goodbyes to protect their freedoms. It paints an incredible picture to actually be here. Recently, Massachusetts celebrated a holiday they title Patriots day, on April 19th in honor of that first battle in Concord. It was SO neat! Everyone gets together and actually reinact all of the events that took place that day, starting at the crack of dawn. They wear time period clothing and reinact the battle and the surrender at the North Bridge. You can even hear gun shots and cannons going off periodically throughout the day. Watching it happen makes you want to shout for joy that people were willing to put their lives on the line for us! Against some really great odds, it is amazing what happened to bring America to freedom. There is a parade, and people walk in honor of the "minutemen" from all of their respective neighboring towns to come and help defend Concord. Some people walked up to 10 miles! It is incredible really. I can't believe I actually get to live in such a place. Hopefully there will be many more walks, talks, and ben and jerry's shared on this incredible piece of ground!









I absolutely LOVE that you love living there! You're so right - I'm convinced there is something magical and sacred about that area, and not just because I'm biased. :)
ReplyDeleteThanks for posting about this! You look beautiful (as always) and I'm so happy to see your sweet family enjoying the city I love most.
I'm so jealous! It looks so pretty there!
ReplyDelete