Friday, March 1, 2013

The Fatal Accident..

Ever wish that when something bad happened you could walk back in time 20 or so minutes to prevent it? Ever wish it bad?? I know I do. The most daunting thing about something like this happening, is that you know before hand you warned yourself that something might not go quite right and that you should not go through with it. Such was the day that Carter's beautiful hair was shaved off.
One of Carter's great features has always been his hair. He has always had a lot of it and we have always gotten compliments on it from complete strangers. And so it became one of my favorite traits of his. Just when you become that much vain, stop yourself. Because this is what might happen next....



OUCH. Yeah, this is not a joke. And for a day I had to decide whether or not it was hilarious, or worth sobbing over. Well the good news is, I didn't sob and kept it together- but did have a few tears intermixed with the laughter. What else can you do but laugh when this happens to your child's head?? Not much. Except wish. Wish you'd listened to your inner conscious and stepped away when you should have. This is how the incident played out...

After a morning at Tata Karlie's (Aunt Karlie's) Carter was pretty well worn out. Poor little guy had been teething like crazy, was clingy, grumpy, and tearful all morning. I had gone over in the hopes that Kar would help me cut his hair because it had grown so long. She has cut Carter's hair in the past, and even Nate's and they looked rockin' so who could have seen this coming? The morning flew by and I decided maybe it was best to do it later when he wasn't so grumpy, and I should go put him down for his nap. With our 3 kids surrounding us in what someone might call chaos, I decided "What the heck. Let's get this over with. He won't be happy any time we cut his hair anyways." That was when I should have stopped- gotten things together- and said, maybe next time. Little cousin Ainsley wanted to help her mommy so badly that she was getting in all of the hair that was falling from carter's head (yuck) so Kar gently nudged her out the door and closed it to keep her from getting in a big mess. She didn't like that much, so her crying and waling joined Carter's creating a billowing throng of howls. Dean, the eldest of the three, sat in the dry bathtub throwing bath toys around and playing make believe. I am trying to talk over the noise of it all to calm Carter down, and Kar is being so sweet and doing her best to get it done quickly. On the VERY last stroke of his hair, to finish the haircut and send us on our way, the black comb on the clippers fell completely off, leaving nothing but the razor blade right next to my little man's head. In truth, we are lucky he didn't get cut. But you can imagine how both of us gasped and froze after we saw what had happened to his head!! 


I am still surprised by it every day. It reminds me of when my cat got fixed and had to be shaved. Or when she had a sore on her back that needed to be taken care of, so they shaved a patch of her fur off leaving her pink kitty scalp bare in the middle of her soft lovely coat. Yuck. Every time I look at Carter I have to remind myself that he's not hurt, and that he doesn't know the difference. This is my burden to bare haha After the initial shock wore off, Karlie managed an "Oh my gosh......I am SO sorry! This has never happened before!" and all I could muster was, "He's bald! It's BALD!" If you have seen Bride Wars, please refer to the "My hair is blue" line. It was fairly similarly said in my case. 

So, now we wait. We wait for his handsome hair to come back. The only regret I have now over this incident is that it hadn't been recorded. The grand prize with America's funniest home videos would surely have been ours!


1 comment:

  1. I just wet my pants. How does this even happen? I am dying. Has it grown back? I would have just shaved it all off. SOOOOOO funnny!

    ReplyDelete