Saturday, April 28, 2012

Boston Birthday

So Nate took me to Boston this last weekend over my birthday! He had a business conference there and since he should not want to leave his wifey on her day of birth, he got me a plane ticket too! Amazing. We packed up the Carter Moo and left him with his Grandma and Grandpa Rhodes (Aunt Roch, Aunt Erin, and Uncle Teo were all huge contributors also of course) and we left Friday morning (my b-day) at 4am to catch an early flight. Here is a short recap of the day (since in retrospect this was actually humorous and we will want to remember)

4am-Leave for Airport

6am- Lindsey's flight leaves (we couldn't be on the same flight unless we paid a 50.00 change fee. Looking back the change fee seems like pocket change and well worth the while)

7am- Nate's flight is scheduled to leave. Scheduled being the key word...flight CANCELLED. They sat on the tarmac for some time until they announced they couldn't get a warning light to turn off, so everyone had to unload. Nate couldn't fly out until 11am. Boo.

Meanwhile- Linds has a 2 1/2 layover in Minneapolis. I get a call from Nate telling me that his debit card has been confiscated. (I had reported MY card lost/stolen a day earlier. Who knew they would get so frisky over his card right?)

11am- Nate leaves SLC, and I leave Minneapolis to head to Boston shortly after

4:15pm- I arrive in Boston. Nate doesn't get in until 7:30pm. So I cozy down at a table and call up my sister Steph who tells me I can go hang out at Harvard with her friend Kara. Since that sounds better than the airport, I get up and head down to the ground transportation and hop onto the Silver line metro and head out. Just about leaving the large airport and having gone through 4-5 stops already, I notice my hands are lighter than they were before and realize I have left the dress bag I was carrying somewhere. Maybe by the baggage claim? I freak out, and jump off of the train- right as my darling friend Paige calls to wish me a happy birthday. She is in for a treat because she guides her panicked friend through a very stressful moment! I had jumped out of the train (moving if that paints a better picture) and was running my way back to where I started when a kind gentleman introduces me to another bus that will take me there much quicker. Paige is helping me laugh and smile and telling me she loves me. I get back to the baggage area and find nothing. SO I do what any rational girl who just lost a brand new birthday dress and her husbands brand new 250.00 suit would do. I start bawling of purse and running to every information desk that I an find asking if it has been returned. Much to my dismay, it is no where to be found. I hang up with Paige and call my mom who is very sympathetic and she and my good sis Erin say a little prayer. Moments after they finish a literal light bulb went off in my head and I thought of that little table I had sat down at after I got off the plane! After a lot more running and another trip BACK through security, a few escalators and diners later- there is was. Sitting on the back of that chair. I grabbed my bag, made my way to the gate where Nate would come off his flight, and collapsed in a chair, mascara smeared and looking like a crazy. I figured Harvard could wait and I needed to stay put. (This all took me about 2 hours of high stress and anxiety).

After Nate landed and gave the sympathetic  man reaction to my story- "oh no way dude!" kind of a thing, we went to pick up our rental car and made our way to our hotel. For dinner we grabbed some chinese food and then we crashed. Needless to say, the day of traveling and frustration wore us right out! A birthday to remember!! Thanks to all the family who listened to me cry that day :) The weekend was truly such a blast though! Check out my next post for some Boston weekend pics!

1 comment:

  1. Happy happy birthday beautiful Lindsey!! I'm so sorry I didn't call you to sing Happy Birthday to you. :( It's been a little crazy around here trying to finish up the last finals and projects before graduation...but that's no excuse! I'm so glad that Nate spoiled you and took you to Boston! I'm so excited to hear all about it! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete